Statute Oof the Institute for Research into and Study of Authorial Acting at the Theatre Faculty AMU in Prague
I. Introductory Provisions
- The Institute for Research into and Study of Authorial Acting DAMU (hereinafter referred to as the Institute) was established in 2001 on the initiative of the then Head Pedagogue of the Department of Authorial Creativity and Pedagogy, Prof. Ivan Vyskočil and the then Dean of DAMU Dr. Markéta Kočvarová Schartová in accordance with paragraph 24 of Act No. 111/1998 Coll. on Higher Education Institutions, as amended.
- The DAMU Academic Senate - pursuant to Section 27, Paragraph a) of Act No. 111/1998 Coll. Regarding Universities, as amended - agreed to the establishment of this workplace on the 8th of October, 2001.
- The Institute is a faculty-wide workplace of DAMU for scientific research activities; and may participate in the implementation of accredited study programmes or their parts in accordance with Article 13 of the DAMU Statute.
II. Management and Organisational Structure of the Institute
- The Institute is headed by a director, who is appointed and removed by the Dean of the DAMU in accordance with Article 13 of the DAMU Statute after consultation with the Vice-Dean for Pedagogical Affairs and Scientific and Research Activities.
- The Director of the Institute is responsible for the leadership and management of the Institute, including the organizational provision of the Institute's activities, for the preparation and implementation of the concept, long-term plan and plan of scientific research and professional activities of the Institute, presentation of the Institute within the faculty and externally, and management of allocated funds.
- The Director of the Institute is responsible for the proper management of the Institute, including the fulfilment of the above duties, and reports to the Dean of the Faculty. The Director of the Institute is also the Chairperson of the Scientific Council of the Institute. The members of the Scientific Board are appointed and removed by the Dean according to the Director of the Institute's proposals. They are mainly teachers in the Department of Authorial Creativity and Pedagogy at DAMU, research and academic staff of the faculty involved in solving individual research projects and other important experts involved with the scientific focus of the Institute. The members of the Scientific Board of the Institute are the head of the Department of Authorial Creativity and Pedagogy at DAMU and, by virtue of his position, the Vice-Dean / Vice-Dean of DAMU for Pedagogical Affairs and Research.
- Scientific Board of the Institute
4.1. The Scientific Board of the Institute above all:
a) discusses and assesses, on the basis of proposals by the Director of the Institute, the Long-Term Plan, and areas of and the direction of scientific research and scientific-artistic activities of the Institute in accordance with the Long-Term Plan of the Theatre Faculty of AMU in Prague;
b) comments on the questions submitted by the director of the Institute, in particular on the concept of activities and long-term intentions of the scientific and research work of the Institute;
c) is a consulting body of the director of the Institute in matters of activities and outputs of the Institute, including issues related to the overall issues of science and research and their use in the activities of the faculty;
d) acts as an editorial board for the Institute's publication outputs.
4.2. The Scientific Council is convened by the Director of the Institute as required, but a minimum of once a year. The term of office of the members of the Scientific Council of the Institute is five years. The number of members of the Scientific Council of the Institute is determined by the Director of the Institute, but it must be a minimum of three and a maximum of ten.
III. Aims and Focus of the Institute
The mission of the Institute is the research into acting as it is generally understood and its assumptions with emphasis on the field of authorial acting, authorial and experimental creation, dramatic culture, play, acting, psychosomatics and pedagogy.
IV. Tasks and Activities of the Institute
- The activities of the Institute are focused on the research into and study of acting as it is generally understood and its assumptions. The main areas of research are authorial acting and creation, pedagogy and the psychosomatic basis of public performance. Methodologically, the research is based on subjective approaches (introspection) supplemented and connected with approaches and methods that objectify. The Department is closely connected with the activities and focus of the Department of Authorial Creativity and Pedagogy at DAMU.
The Institute focuses primarily on the following activities:
- Study of and research into the author's discipline of Dialogical Acting with the Inner Partner founded by Prof. Ivan Vyskočil (see Authorization Code, Dialogical Acting with the Inner Partner) and elaboration of reflections by students and teachers.
- Study of and research into acting, playing, authorship and psychosomatics in a broader, existential sense.
- Study of and research into public performance with regard to psychosomatic condition.
- Development of professional discussion in the field of general acting in the form of seminars, symposia and conferences.
- Interdisciplinary cooperation with specialists primarily in the field of the Humanities.
- Experimental pedagogy in cooperation with the Department of Authorial Creativity and Pedagogy at DAMU.
- Publishing activities (peer-reviewed and non-peer-reviewed studies), especially in Czech and English. The results of the research are presented in standard form and electronically on the Institute's website, which is an open international platform for research into acting as it is generally understood and its assumptions.
- Cooperation and participation in the implementation of doctoral study programmes of the Theatre Faculty of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague, primarily in the implementation of the programme, Authorial Acting, its Theory and Psychosomatics;
- Support for published editions of selected publications defended in the doctoral programme, Authorial Acting, its Theory and Psychosomatics.
- Linking the Institute's Activities with Pedagogical Activities
The connection results from the very essence of the Department of Authorial Creativity and Pedagogy and from the nature of the Institute's activities. Pedagogical activity in the Department of Authorial Creativity and Pedagogy at DAMU is both a subject for research and a research tool. Applied methodological knowledge will be organically integrated into the pedagogical process and further research.
V. Final Provisions
The Statute of the Institute for Research into and Study of Authorial Acting of DAMU of the 15th of June, 2001 is repealed.
This Statute shall enter into force on the 1st of August, 2020.
In Prague, on the 10th of July, 2020
Mgr. MgA. Doubravka Svobodová
Dean of DAMU