The Theatre Faculty of the Academy of Performing Arts
Call for projects 2016
We call for project proposals for puppet theatre performance by individuals or small groups, MA or postgraduate students of directing, dramaturgy, stage design or related fields at European artistic schools. We offer opportunity to create a full scale show with 4 actors and 3 actresses (students of Department of Alternative and Puppet Theatre) in fully equipped school venue, including production of set and costumes in workshops, professional technical equipment and assistance and pedagogical guidance. Submit your projects and enjoy putting up the show in well-equipped venue in the heart of Prague, with talented students graduating in alternative and puppet theatre acting.
What we offer:
- Professional conditions, well equipped venue, workshops for producing set and costumes, assistance of skilled professional staff.
- Four actors and three actresses, graduating MA students of alternative and puppet theatre acting.
- Variety of collaborators - students of set design, costume design, dramaturgy and arts management.
- Production budget of 3400 EUR.
- Eight weeks long rehearsal period, incl. three weeks in main venue (min. 4 hours/day).
- At least 12 performances of the show in period December 2016 to June 2017 at DISK theatre.
- Promoting the show at appropriate international events and organizing its presentation at festivals in Europe.
- Erasmus+ exchange program scholarship for fall term 2016/2017 (where applicable) OR providingaccommodation and covering travel expenses.
- We do not offer fee for creating the show.
What we expect:
- Proposing original and well prepared artistic conception for full scale puppet theatre show at DISK theatre at DAMU in Prague, according to conditions set in this call.
- Consulting and developing the project in period between selection announcement and rehearsal start (April - September 2016) with DAMU tutors.
- Devising and directing the show in collaboration with students, pedagogues, production and technical staff of DAMU and DISK theatre in period October - December 2016.
How to apply:
- Submit your project not later than March 1, 2016 by e-mail to email@example.com.
- Your application has to include: CV, portfolio of previous works, motivation letter, artistic conception of proposed puppet theatre staging (1-5 pages), 2 reference letters (one from senior teacher of your school, one from relevant theatre professional artist).
- You can apply as individual student - director of the show.
- You can also apply as group of maximum three students -e.g. director, stage designer, dramaturg.
- If applying as a group, all components of the application have to be delivered for each member.
- December 16th, 2015 - call open
- March 1st, 2016 - deadline for submitting the applications
- March 15th, 2016 - skype interview with three selected finalists
- March 20th, 2016 - announcing results of selection
- May 15th, 2016 - deadline for submitting to Erasmus+ exchange program scholarship (where applicable)
- June 2016 - preparatory visit in Prague - 4-days-long workshop with actors; completing the team with students of Arts Management, Stage Design, Dramaturgy; introducing into venue and its facilities
- October 1st, 2016 - arrival of selected student(s) to Prague for fall term 2016/2017
- October 22nd, 2016 - start of rehearsal period
- December 22nd, 2016 - premiere of the show
Department of Alternative and Puppet Theatre of DAMU in Prague
Studies here are based on the one hand on many years of experience with university-level puppeteering pedagogy and on the other hand on tendencies that have their roots in the theatrical avant-garde and in the "open theatre" movement.
Bachelors' and Masters' programs for acting, directing and dramaturgy require the study of the general features of theatrical creation with emphasis on specific interdisciplinary components of puppetry and relevant kinds of theatre including their overlapping and ties leading back to the theatrical arts. The study of stage design (Bachelors' + a following Masters' program) in this department focuses on training visual artists for alternative forms of theatre, with artistic metaphor as the priority - including puppet theatre.
Theatre Studio DISK is part of the Academy of Performing Arts (DAMU), located at DAMU premises at Karlova street 26, Prague. DISK theatre has the size and characteristics of a regular, small repertory theatre, the most common type of theatre in the Czech Republic.
DISK is designed and used for the practical education of students of certain theatre programs, during the last years of study.
The school theatre operates using professional employees. Students can use services of carpentry and locksmith's workshop, and tailoring workshop, consisting of 5 craftsmen in total.
Another nine employees operate the theatre space, as light and sound technicians and stagehands. The management, administration, promotion, and economics of the theatre are taken care of by four office staff.
For further information do not hesitate to contact the project manager:
cell phone: +420 776 250 812